Low Molecular Weight and Cross Linked Hyaluronic Acid
Hyaluronic Acid Structure
MW = 1,000,000 D
Enzyme Degradation by Natural Body Enzymes
Hyaluronic Acid is degraded in vivo by endogenous body enzymes (hyaluronidases). Mini-HaX from Ophrys is 62% more resistant compared to commercial linear Hyaluronic Acids.
Comparison with Commercial Cross Linked Hyaluronic Acid (HA)
Demonstrates the increased effectiveness of Ophrys HA vs. Commercial HA.
- Hyaluronic Acid is used extensively industry wide.
- Widely used both in injectable and topical anti-wrinkle treatments.
- It is a naturally occurring molecule and constitutes animal and human cartilages together with chondroitin sulphate.
- Confers elasticity and is compatible with and well tolerated by human tissues, because of its biological origin.
- High Molecular Weight is conventionally considered higher than 1,000,0000 Da. This is most common, whilst 100,000 Da products are considered low molecular weight HA.
- Permeation through the intact skin is inversely proportional to the molecular weight, hence shorter chains more absorbed than the longer chains.
- A high percentage of chains that permeate through the skin are rapidly depolymerised to oligosaccharides by the enzymes present in the subcutaneous tissues.
- Therefore since the patented Hyaluronic Acid of Ophrys is both Cross Linked and Lower Molecular Weight it both permeates the skin in superior fashion and also lasts longer due to higher resistance to degradation.
Factors affecting regeneration activity
As already stated, the molecular weight of the Hyaluronic Acid influences activity, hence the higher the molecular weight, the lower the absorption rate.
The rate of degradation of Low Molecular Weight HA is slower than of Higher Molecular Weight HA.
Binding To Tissue Proteins
The strength of binding decreases with the decrease of molecular weight, hence there is more free HA present when Lower Molecular Weight HA is used.
Therefore the use of Low Molecular Weight Hyaluroinic Acid is preferable to the High Molecular Weight Hyaluronic Acid in dermatology or cosmetic applications and on intact and/or inflamed skin.
The use of a Low Molecular Weight and Cross Linked Hyaluronic Acid
- HyAx Skincare (based in Lugano, Switzerland) have developed a new Low Molecular Weight Cross Linked Hyaluronic Acid, in the form of a semi-solid, transparent gel which is formulated to great effect into the topical skincare line “Ophrys”.
- Due to the lower rate of degradation by the endogenous enzymes the Mini-HaX is more persistent than High Molecular Weight HA, and indeed other commercial Hyaluronic Acid compounds. The Cross Linked Low Molecular Weight Hyaluronic Acid is again more resistant.
Ophrys patented Hyaluronic Acid therefore lasts longer after topical application onto the skin and shows superior activity delivering higher proportions of the actives, including vitamins A and E to the skin.
- The active HA ingredient is protected by patent.
Hyaluronic Acid Structure
Hyaluronic Acid - Enzyme degradation by body enzymes.
Characteristics of a Low Molecular Weight and Cross Linked Hyaluronic Acid
With all skin layers.
Formation of a protective layer on skin surface.
By the body’s enzymes.
Delivers higher levels of HA and has longer activity on the skin.
The solubility in water of the active allows it to be formulated into conventional gels and ointments. Such cream formulations, by enhancing their lipofilicity, can increase their absorption through the tissues.
The molecular description allows us to deliver higher HA concentrations through the skin.
This is why the combination with Vitamin A or E enrichs the products.
- The base use of HA is well known and thus is well accepted by the market.
- However the patented Low Molecular Weight and Cross Linked Hyaluronic Acid of Ophrys is unique and offers beneficial and superior skin enhancement. This is due to its ability to last longer on the skin and deliver higher quantities of actives such as Vitamin A and E to the skin surface.
- It is a novel spin on existing technology and is patented and unique.
- Product presence on the skin is prolonged by the low degradation rate of Mini-HaX, leading to an enhanced and prolonged transfer across the skin of the actives.
Download the PDF version here.